Symantec NetBackup 7.0 for Windows: Maintain and Troubleshoot (NBMTW)
Symantec course materials are delivered as an eBook to the participant prior to the course. To ensure a smooth course delivery please make sure you provide the participants email address correctly with the booking. Please note that participants need to bring their own laptops to the course with the ebook software and ebook license installed. If you need further information please contact our Customer Service.
Who should attend
This course is for NetBackup administrators, operators, system engineers, and technical support personnel who want to broaden their NetBackup advanced troubleshooting knowledge and skills on a Windows platform.
Before attending this course, you should have:
- One year of NetBackup Windows administration
- Two years experience as a Windows system administrator, including networking
- Familiarity with backup and restore concepts and SAN concepts
This Symantec NetBackup Maintain and Troubleshoot course provides the IT professional with instruction on troubleshooting Symantec NetBackup 7.0 software. This course covers general error detection tools and approaches problem-solving using the scientific method. Students study the functions of key NetBackup processes and how to enable, view, and manage the associated logs. In addition, students practice solving problems related to the NetBackup database, devices, media, disk, deduplication, networking, and performance. After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Detect problems using tools such as the Activity Monitor, reports, NBSupport, NBSU, NetBackup Ops Center, and notify scripts.
- Focus on problem resolution using tools such as NetBackup commands and system commands and files.
- Identify the services and processes that run on the master server, media server, EMM server, and clients.
- Back up, recover, and maintain the NetBackup Databases.
- Troubleshoot new server and client installations in addition to media, system, network, device, performance, and other problems.
- Correct problems and verify problem corrections.
- Enable and use legacy, unified, and robust logging to troubleshoot problems.
Troubleshooting Methods and Tools
- Troubleshooting situations and methodology
- Enabling and viewing debug logs
- Gathering information using the nbsupport and nbsu utilities, Nbcplogs, and NBCC tools
- Review of troubleshooting tools (including Ops Center)
- Hands-On Labs: Enabling debug logging; using nbcplogs to gather logs; generating nbsupport and nbsu reports; configuring notify scripts; using notify scripts to produce e-mail reports and alerts
NetBackup Process Flow
- Process communications
- Backup process flow
- Restore process flow
- Process mazes
- Hands-On Labs: Configuring the NetBackup Service Monitor; tracking a backup and restore job through log files
Understanding the NetBackup Databases
- The NetBackup Relational Databases (NBDBs)
- Catalog backup and recovery
- Maintaining the NBDB
- Hands-On Labs: Managing the Sybase server and the NBDB database; displaying EMM domain information; protecting and recovering the NBDB
Troubleshooting Tape Devices and Media
- Preliminary device troubleshooting
- Environmental device troubleshooting approach
- Media and device selection
- NetBackup device troubleshooting approach
- Media-related status codes
- Explaining and troubleshooting frozen and suspended media
- Hands-On Labs: Solving simulated device and media-related problems.
Troubleshooting Disk Backups and Resources
- Overview of disk-based backups
- Using and configuring Basic Disk
- Using and configuring Advanced Disk
- OST plug-in
- Hands-On Labs: Solving simulated disk-related problems
Troubleshooting Media Server Deduplication
- Overview of deduplication and storage server creation
- How to remove a deduplication pool
- Deduplication processes, reports and logging
- Hands-On Labs: Adding and removing a storage server and deduplication pool; deduplication logging
Troubleshooting Network Issues
- NetBackup and TCP/IP
- Physical network failures
- NetBackup configuration errors
- Isolating network errors
- Hands-On Labs: Solveing simulated network-related problems
Troubleshooting Performance Issues
- NetBackup performance overview
- Isolating bottlenecks
- Addressing bottlenecks
Managing Debug Logs
- Log management
- Capturing debug logs
- Viewing debug logs in detail
- Hands-On Labs: Configuring debug log settings; collecting debug logs; viewing legacy and unified debug logs (optional)
Miscellaneous Troubleshooting (Optional)
- Ops Center
- Storage lifecycle policies (SLPs)
- Client-direct operations
- Embedded at security
Duration: 3 days
Prices (excl. tax):
- Sverige: 18.900 Kr
- Danmark: 15.750 Dkr
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Training date request