This five-day course presents a methodology for designing a VMware EUC solution. The design methodology includes recommendations for the type of information and data that must be gathered and analyzed to make sound design decisions for the client systems, the desktop options, the VMware vSphere® infrastructure, VMware Horizon. VMware Horizon Cloud, VMware Workspace ONE UEM, VMware Workspace ONE Access and VMware UAG. VMware best practices are presented for each phase of the design process. In this course, you apply your new knowledge by working with other participants to design a VMware EUC solution for a real-world project.
- VMware Horizon 8 V2006
Who should attend
Operators, administrators, and architects for VMware Horizon should enroll in this course. These individuals are responsible for the creation, maintenance, and or delivery of remote and virtual desktop services. Additional duties can include the implementation, support, and administration of an organization's end-user computing infrastructure.
- Virtualized desktop implementation experience
- Microsoft Windows system administration experience: Configure Active Directory services, including DNS, DHCP, and time synchronization.
- Understanding basic vSphere concepts
- Completion of one of the following courses is recommended (or equivalent experience):
- VMware Workspace ONE: Deploy and Manage plus UEM Troubleshooting Fast Track [V21.x]
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Assess the business and application requirements of an environment
- Analyze design choices and design an EUC infrastructure architecture that addresses the needs of the environment
- Design an EUC architecture that addresses the needs of the organization and follows VMware best practices
- Document a design that can be implemented
- Design a comprehensive VMware EUC solution
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
VMWare EUC Design Methodology
- Recognize the characteristics of a good design.
- Identify the phases of VMware EUC Design Methodology
Presenting Solutions to Executive Management
- Identify behaviors that can affect team performance negatively
- List common mistakes when working in a team
- Describe how to tailor a presentation to the company’s values, and stakeholders’ backgrounds and roles
- List questions you should ask to identify how to address a problem a client is trying to solve
Infrastructure Assessment and Services Definition
- Define customer business objective
- Define a use case for your virtual desktop and application infrastructure
- Convert customer requirements to use-case attributes
Horizon Architecture and Components
- Determine the components required for a Horizon on-premises or Horizon Cloud deployment
- Implement the design considerations and recommendations for various Horizon components
- Analyze the use-case scenarios for various the Horizon deployment options
Component Design: Horizon Pods
- Design a single-site Horizon desktop block and pod configuration for a given use case
- Design Cloud Pod Architecture for multisite pool access
- Design Control Plane Services Architecture for multisite pool access
Component Design: App Volumes and Dynamic Environment Manager
- Identify the functionalities of the components in App Volumes Logical Architecture
- Implement the recommended practices when designing an application delivery mechanism using App Volumes
Component Design: Workspace ONE
- Map the Horizon desktop building block and the Horizon management building block to VMware vSphere.
- Identify factors and design decisions that determine the sizing for ESXi hosts
Workspace ONE & Horizon Infrastructure Design
- Design the environment resources required to support a Workspace ONE and Horizon deployment
- Identify factors and design decisions that determine the sizing for ESXi host
- Discuss the factors that determine the sizing for shared storage
- Identify the design decisions related to bandwidth utilization
- Discuss the implications of using load balancing and traffic management
- Identify factors and design decisions that determine the sizing of the Azure pods
Design Integration and Delivery
- List the platform components that needs to be integrated along with their dependent services.
- Integrate Workspace ONE and Horizon platform components.